Tuesday 22 December 2009

Col de Ice and Snow

I brought my bike over to the South of France with me hoping to get some good long hilly and beneficial rides in. Yesterday I went for a long ride, my normal route from home to St Paul de Vence, up to Vence and then climb the Col de Vence. I would normally go over the Col and carry on for another 30km before doubling back. Yesterday the temp was about 10 Deg C and raining, in my eyes thats nice weather for riding. I headed out up to Vence and up the Col de Vence, 2km from the top the temperature dropped dramatically and snow began to fall and settle on the road.... oh shit. Getting back down was fun.... ermm.... hair raising. I headed down slowly, the further I came down the lighter the snow became and 4km from the bottom the roads were clear and it was more rain than snow, it was still ice cold though... and my feet, fingers, face, ears and nuts were numb. Got home safe and sound and showered for 10 mins to thaw myself out.

Hopefully weather will improve and I can make it to the top of the Col de Vence!

No comments:

Post a Comment