Monday 8 March 2010

The last few days

Thursday I did a great turbo session prescribed by my coach.

Warm-up: single-leg riding, 10 sets of 1 min with each leg (total of 20 min)

Main set: 6 intervals of 10 min each, starting with 7 min @ 60% and 3 min @ 85% effort, then with each interval, shorten the 60% by 30 sec and add 30 sec to the 85% effort, until the last two 5 min @ 60%, 5 min @ 85%.

Cool-down: no-hands riding in 5 different positions for 2 minute each, and think about smooth pedalling without your hands, engaging glutes and core muscles.

A session that really gets the HR up and gets the speed into the legs - about time too. The turbo is turning out to be a very valuable training aid!

Friday - I missed the normal morning swim (couldnt get out of bed) but did go to the gym after work and punished myself for missing the swim with a 10k row. As I haven't been rowing for a while I wanted to set a bench mark for future rows. 10k = 41mins. Not bad if I do say so myself. This was followed by some upper body conditioning work of 10x3 sets of chin ups, 10x3 sets of tricep dips and finally 15x3 sets of push ups.

Saturday - This, in my plan, should be my long ride day but due to other commitments it would have been impossible to fit in a long 5hr ride so I had no option to swap around my Sat and Sun. Long run it was then. Again, due to prior commitments I didnt have time to do a run until 7pm (Saturday night and Im out running - a triathletes life!) but I did a great run of 22km all the way around Hampstead Heath and along other delightful roads of London. My longest run to date and a nice steady pace too. All this slow and steady stuff is really starting to pay off now.

Sunday - Should have been long ride day but due to Saturdays efforts I had serious stiff legs and felt pretty fatigued so, lazily, bailed on any session and just laid on the sofa all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment